Tuesday, January 22, 2013

working on a new booth shot.

11.23.12


My booth shot as of this week.

Earlier this week, I decided it was time to haul out the canopy and Propanels and work on getting together a new booth shot for applying to art fairs.  I've been reading a lot on the Art Fair Insiders forum about how to make your booth shot better.  I've learned a lot from the artists on that forum and enjoyed trying this week to implement what I've learned.

Here are a few observations...
  • Juries like to see a unified body of work in the booth shot.  I need to continue working on this, but I have noticed some similarities in my work as I went through this process this week.  So that was kind of fun for me. :)
  • I need to keep painting.  More work will help a lot with getting a great booth shot together.
  • I have come a long way since that first attempt at a booth shot (see below).
  • Setting up in the backyard really helped me to see my work as a whole and to evaluate where I am.  I think doing this every few months to re-evaluate would be a good idea... kind of a way to see if I'm really ready for venturing out into juried art fairs.

So, just for kicks, I thought I'd post my first booth shot. 


My booth shot as of July 2011.

I can't help but think it's no wonder the jurors didn't accept me.  Although I didn't see it at the time, this booth shot makes it obvious that I needed more time to work on building up a body of work.  (I still think that now, after adding more pieces and weeding out some that aren't so great.)  I'm glad, though, that I tried, because it got me started on the journey.

I still have so far to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment