Tuesday, January 22, 2013

like riding a bike.

2.5.11
 
My husband volunteered me to donate a horse painting to an auction next month for a fund-raiser for some horse-related organization in the area (I can't remember anymore what it was exactly, except that it had something to do with a co-worker of his).  I was a bit nervous since I haven't done any horse-related art for a *long* time, but he reassured me that I would do great.  I, on the other hand, wasn't quite so sure.

So I decided to start doing some horse paintings to sort of "warm up" for the big one.  Last night, I drew out the beginnings of my first one, and it really felt good to draw a horse again.  (It's hard to believe that in five years of art school, I only did maybe two or three horse pieces.)  It really was like riding a bike.  You know... once you learn it, you don't forget how?  

My obsession with horses was what drew me to drawing way back when.  I took a long journey away from drawing horses during art school, when it seemed I should learn to do other subject matter.  So it only seems fitting that I should pick it back up again, all these many years later.  :)

Anyway, there's no paint on it yet, but here's the start...

The start of my new painting, along with the photos I'm using for reference.  The horse photo is one my oldest daughter took when we went to a local horse farm two weeks ago with a friend who helps exercise horses there.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment